August Book Haul


1. Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
I have to admit, I think I've caught Steinbeck-fever as I've found 
myself yearning for his unpredictable story-lines, warm, vivid characters, and
the stunning rural scenery that he so beautifully describes in all of his books. 
Cannery Row initially caught my eye due to it's gorgeous Cover art (by
Kathryn MacNaughton) which, in my opinion, successfully captures the
mood of the novel.



2. Unwind by Neal Shusterman
I was introduced to this book thanks to a short film created
by a production company on Youtube called mainstaypro
who had previously adapted a scene from 'Unwind'. instantly I was 
captured by the unique plot and the promise of a dystopian
series "More chilling than The Hunger Games".



3. Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter
I can never resist a good ol' coming-of-age novel, 
especially if that novel happens to involve a story about 
friendship, humour, and what it's like to be a teenage girl. 
I always find these sorts of books very familiar to 
my own experiences, which generally adds to the enjoyment.



4. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
As an English Literature student, I am going to be
studying (for a second time -Hurrah) 'Pride & Prejudice' by
Jane Austen, so, to get me in the "Austen mood" I 
purchased two more of her famous classics: 'Emma',
and 'Sense & Sensibility'



5. Emma by Jane Austen


6. Tudors by Peter Ackroyd
As well as Austen, next year I will also be studying Henry VIII
(Oh Joy of Joys), now, by some miracle I managed
to gain an A grade in GCSE History, however, I am unsure
as to whether that's actually going to be of any help next year since
I know almost zilch about the history of Britain. In order to 
brush up on my knowledge I bought two books that I hope will
help me to gain some context: 'Tudors' by Peter Ackroyd, 
and 'When it happened in Britain' by George Chamier.



7. When it Happened in Britain by George Chamier



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeware Haul!